www.vip-qualitysoft.com Forum Index  

To Do List,Task Management and Organizer software: Welcome to VIP Quality Software

VIP Quality Software

This Forum moved to www.ToDoListSoft.com VIP Quality Software Forum
Create sub-database for travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.vip-qualitysoft.com Forum Index -> Network Product Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

Something else you may want to consider is how the network to-do list will work for road-warriors. There really needs to be some way for a user to generate a sub-database on their local PC, so that they have access to it when travelling. Upon return from the road trip there needs to be some way so sync that sub-database back to the main one. The sync problem is non-trivial of course, because both the entry in the main database and the entry in the sub-database may have changed. Some suggestions are:

Notes are additive. (i.e. the final entry contains all notes from both verisons of the database)

For task completion, the assigned resource has priority. If they are the one supposed to be doing the work, they should know the completion status. If there is more than one assigned resource, take an average.
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Richard Jackson"]Something else you may want to consider is how the network to-do list will work for road-warriors. There really needs to be some way for a user to generate a sub-database on their local PC, so that they have access to it when travelling. Upon return from the road trip there needs to be some way so sync that sub-database back to the main one. The sync problem is non-trivial of course, because both the entry in the main database and the entry in the sub-database may have changed. [/quote]
It's really non-trivial as you said. Thanks for ideas. We don't think this feature will appear in version 1, but it is useful thing and we agree that it is worth adding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Serge"]
It's really non-trivial as you said. Thanks for ideas. We don't think this feature will appear in version 1, but it is useful thing and we agree that it is worth adding.[/quote]

OK. That will probably kill the product for me though. I travel a fair bit, so I must have access to the task list when I'm not in the office.
Richard Jackson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Serge"]
It's really non-trivial as you said. Thanks for ideas. We don't think this feature will appear in version 1, but it is useful thing and we agree that it is worth adding.[/quote]

As a temporary solution, would it be possible to export part of the database (which may include tasks for more than one user) in such a way that it could be imported by Team To Do List? Then, upon return to the office, export part of the Team To Do List, and import it to the Server database. The person that imported the material to the server database would then have to manually "sync" the records (i.e. delete irrelevant duplicates and/or copy and paste information from one record to another, then delete one). This is not an ideal solution of course, but it would be useable (at least, for me it would).
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Richard Jackson"]As a temporary solution, would it be possible to export part of the database (which may include tasks for more than one user) in such a way that it could be imported by Team To Do List? Then, upon return to the office, export part of the Team To Do List, and import it to the Server database. The person that imported the material to the server database would then have to manually "sync" the records (i.e. delete irrelevant duplicates and/or copy and paste information from one record to another, then delete one). This is not an ideal solution of course, but it would be useable (at least, for me it would).[/quote]Thank you, its a good solution. We understand that import/export feature for people who work during business trips, at home, etc. is a must. We will consider what is better: to make the constant or temporary solution. If temporary solution is worth the candle, we will make it. If it is more sensible to spend some more time and make the constant one, we will choose the second. Thank you again. We appreciate your suggestions.
Richard Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Serge"] We will consider what is better: to make the constant or temporary solution. If temporary solution is worth the candle, we will make it. If it is more sensible to spend some more time and make the constant one, we will choose the second.[/quote]

Have you made any decision on which way to go, and if you have, can you share that with me? I am currently procrastinating about buying Team To Do List. If this will be, even temporarily, the mechanism used when not connected to the server, then I will buy it. On the other hand, I do not want to buy it only to find out that in a few months I will never use it again because the network product does everything I need, even when not connected to the server.
Serge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Create sub-database for travel Reply with quote

[quote="Richard Jackson"]Have you made any decision on which way to go, and if you have, can you share that with me? I am currently procrastinating about buying Team To Do List. If this will be, even temporarily, the mechanism used when not connected to the server, then I will buy it. On the other hand, I do not want to buy it only to find out that in a few months I will never use it again because the network product does everything I need, even when not connected to the server.[/quote]
1. We are going to release Network edition with 'Import from VIP Team To Do List' feature.
2. Later we are going to add sync feature.
3. If you have bought at least 3 VIP Team To Do List licenses you are eligible to upgrade them to the same quantity of Network Edition FOR FREE (because Network product will be sold 3 user license minimum).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.vip-qualitysoft.com Forum Index -> Network Product Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: