Using a pen and sheet of paper to simply jot down activities and underline priorities is often not effective, because many people today do their jobs and tasks sitting at their computers. Those people would prefer using a kind of software that could allow them to make electronic checklists, to-do lists and job templates. Then checklist software would be of primary use... So if you want to manage your tasks and activities on your computer, then you should try a checklist software tool.
What is checklist software?
Checklist software is a computer program that helps you carefully plan out your activities and always remember about priorities. It allows you to create electronic lists of tasks, steps and goals that you need to complete over a scheduled period. Such software also lets you share your checklists and templates with other users, so it will be easier for you to delegate your tasks and jobs.
A typical checklist software solution includes the following basic features:
- Task planning and scheduling to set priority, time frames, dependencies, users, etc.
- Duplication and template making to create new tasks and checklists by copying existing templates and patterns
- Sharing and multi-user access to allow two or more users to do same tasks or checklists
These and other features are available in CentriQS checklist solution. CentriQS lets you plan, schedule, duplicate, and share your tasks and checklists. The software features the Tasks view in which you can make templates, set predecessors and successors, prioritize activities, break down tasks into sub-tasks, etc.
Why use checklist software
The main reason why use checklist software is simple: people easily forget things that should be done. The truth is that when you're going to do something that involves multiple steps, there is a higher likelihood that you will forget one or two of the necessary steps. Using checklist software ensures that you won't forget anything.
The benefits of using checklist software are the following:
- Doing and scheduling tasks correctly
- Saving brain power for more creative things
- No need to keep everything in mind but just use electronic reminders and alerts
- Sharing and delegating tasks more easily
- Using copies of existing checklists and templates to plan new tasks and activities
All of these benefits are provided by CentriQS solution. This program features the Templates panel that allows users to quickly and easily create typical items for different entities. For example, you can use the Templates panel in the Tasks view to create typical tasks and sub-tasks that constitute your specific project or activity. Your template tasks can be used to create new tasks, so you will benefit from quick and easy task planning.
Best practices of checklist making
Now it is obvious that using checklist software is helpful. But how are you going to make a checklist? What steps are involved in this process?
There are best practices of making a typical checklist, as follows:
- Identify and define an activity or project that you need to accomplish. For example, you need to write an article for your client.
- Figure out what main steps you need to take to accomplish your project. For example, the steps might be "Agree on article topic", "Find necessary material", "Write article", "Correct and revise article", "Submit article for approval".
- Create a drafted checklist. For example, your checklist "Article Writing" might consist of all those steps you defined at the previous stage.
- Estimate time required of you to complete your project. For example, you need 15 minutes to agree on the article topic; about 1 hour you will spend on finding necessary material; 3-4 hours you will spend on writing the article; etc.
- Sequence checklist items. For example, the step "Write article" follows the step "Find necessary material". You just need to logically sequence your steps and set priorities.
- Consider the need for task delegation and sharing. You may need to share your tasks with other people who can write articles. Or perhaps you're going to delegate your tasks in order to focus on other activities. Anyway, you should consider this possibility and make sure that your favorite checklist software supports multi-user access and data sharing.
- Verify the checklist and get it ready for use. At the final step you need to review all the items of your checklist to make sure they are comprehensive and let you complete your goal.
You can follow these best practices by using CentriQS software. After you create your checklist by means of the Templates panel, next you can add and specify necessary tasks. For each task you can set a number of properties, including "Estimate", "Priority", "Assigned To", "State", "Project", and others. If needed, you can share the entire checklist or its separate items among other users.